Writing fail this week. Have got a virus again, with an annoying cough (pretty much have been catching bugs every other week since August)-more worn out than full-on ill.
I had been beating myself up for not getting anything done this month, having planned on doing a full rewrite of my NaNoWriMo novel, and to write every day.
While I was browsing through my scrivener file for Nano 2017, I saw that my novel is now organised in chapters/ scenes,and chronological order.
This is some achievement considering I had done more pantsing than plantsing during November, which resulted in my novel being a mess. Each scene switched between different characters’ POV, time, and setting. I’d often mixed up past and present tense in one paragraph. There were endless side plots, which often went nowhere.
That was confusing enough, but I then had to organise time travel, portals, and alternate dimensions into some sort of coherent structure.
I hadn’t seen the bigger picture because I had been chipping away on it a section at a time, concentrating only on the scene I was working on. I’m feeling a little better about myself now. I have achieved something this month, even if I didn’t reach the goals I had set.
Sometimes doing nothing, or the minimal is okay (I am still dragging myself into work, despite not feeling great). Sometimes If you push yourself too hard, as I have done in the past, you end up more ill & likely get burnout.
Postscript 29 January
Not feeling too bad now, still not 100 percent, but getting there. I haven’t managed to write every single day, but am improving. Doing the 85K Writing Challenge is helping to spur me along. Though I am not writing the full 85K, just adding missing scenes to my novel, ready to start the 85K Editing Challenge in April.